I also worked on the universe generation. Yeah, generative content is sweet. It gives some depth to a game by getting some randomness. The global generator structure is here, ready to be used. For now, it can generate all kind of visions in the game :
- And the galaxy itself as well
If you're discovering this project, let me introduce the concept of "vision" in Alone in Space. First, the game takes place in space. That's huge. And barely impossible to represent in one simple scene. So i decided to cut the gameplay in visions. Each vision is a representation of space at a different zoom level :
Zone < Region < Sector < GalaxyThe galaxy is separated in sectors. Each sector contains regions. Each region contains zones. That's like russian dolls. Each vision gives different possibilities, according to the zoom level :
- In Zone vision, you will build structures, harvest natural resources, create advanced components
- In Region vision, you will explore and colonize new Zones
- In Sector vision, you will explore planets, asteroïds (represented by Regions)...
- In the Galaxy vision, you will explore deep space, find new sectors, worm holes, black holes...
- Building structures
- Harvesting natural resources
- Creating advanced components
- Handling catastrophies